Tuesday, May 6, 2008

First Shot

I'm a website developer. There's a long list of sites in my portfolio, but the site I promote the most is one I've owned since 2000 - NatchezMS.com. The site itself has lists and links for bed and breakfasts, hotels, restaurants, attractions, and other things that visitors to Natchez, Mississippi would want to know.
In an effort to market NatchezMS.com (thus get more ads and make Google pay for the lifestyle to which I would like to become accustomed) I'm getting more into "viral marketing" which includes blogging, so here goes my first attempt.
Natchez really does have a lot to offer, especially for such a small town. No, there's no DisneyWorld here, nor Six Flags Over RedneckLand, or anything like that. In fact, we do quite well without them.
Here's a partial list of what we do have:

  • A plethora of antebellum homes that have been preserved in a state very close to what they would have been like before the Civil War (hence the term "antebellum").
  • An equal number of Bed & Breakfasts - I know, lots of towns have these, but if you want a real treat try one of ours.
  • Shopping that's been rated as some of the best in the South - especially the antique shops.
  • Dining experiences (you can't just call these places "restaurants") that run the gamut from white tablecloth to picnic table.
  • Small town atmosphere - and I name this one for two reasons; it's laid back and relaxing, but it's also convenient to have the shops, restaurants, attractions, and such mostly within walking distance.

Now if you're looking for something more festive, just come around at the right time of year. The entire month of May, for instance, has the Festival of Music - jazz, Broadway shows, opera, Gospel music, with performances in locations all around town.

In October look for the Great Mississippi Balloon Race - hot air balloons compete while down at the fairgrounds there's music, food, kiddie rides, etc.

So you see, Natchez is a great place to check out for your next vacation or getaway. Maybe you're looking for a different place for your wedding (get married in a Greek-columned mansion), a girls' getaway, or a golf-buddy trip (there are 3 courses within a ten-minute drive and more an hour out of town).

I'm going to take most of these subjects and write about them separately, but for this first blog I wanted to hit the highlights.

2 comments:

Up River said...

Hey Sam,
I tried blogging on here, thought I did it right but.....I have not seen it yet. The blog would have been from Up River. Any whoo, what I wanted to say is "way to go". The web sight looks great and can and will be so helpful. I know you have waited a long time to get it up and going but it really looks like the wait was worth it. It is a really cool site! I am in Vicksburg now at the Convention and Visitors Bureau, so any one who is leaving the beautiful city of Natchez and heading North Vicksburg way and are needing some information please give me a call. 1-800-221-3536. Again, way to go..I had almost forgot just how much there is to do in Natchez! Sherry Steele Jones. (Yes, I got married to a JONES.

Unknown said...

Hi Sherry!
I was wondering where you were. I'll use the phone number and touch base with you. Sorry to take so long to reply to this - the NatchezMS.com project has taken so much time. But I'm happy to hear from you. Spread the word in V'Burg about us and I'll do the same for you all.